Tuesday 22 April 2014

Lillydale - Warburton Rail Trail Marathon

Strave

I finally did it.  I completed my first marathon on the weekend by running the length of the Lilydale to Warburton rail trail (plus a bit at the start).  After months of training for the Melbourne Marathon only to be struck down with injury 4 weeks out, then more months training in preparation for this run, it's a great feeling to finally look in the mirror and see a marathon runner!



I woke up nice and early on Saturday morning to get down my regular pre long run breakfast of an English muffin with peanut butter and a coffee.  The body did what the body had to and then off to Lillydale Lake for my marathon attempt.

It was a damp start to proceedings at Lillydale Lake
A light drizzle had set in which was quite pleasant for the opening few kilometres.  A lap of Lillydale Lake kicked things off then off to the start of the trail.  I was accompanied for the opening 10k of the run by an old school mate and cyclist who is in training for a 50km run/walk next week.  It was great to have someone to chat to for those 10k, of which pretty much the whole thing is an uphill slog.  We ran at a pretty steady pace, I knew my heart rate was too high, but I was in cruise control so just went with the flow (that would bite my in the ass later) and those first 10k just disappeared.  Before I knew it, it was adios Rob and onto my only solo stretch.  A 12k, mostly downhill jaunt to Killara.

I was on my estimated pace at this point and felt pretty good and thought this downhill would be a nice chance to even get in front.  So I tried upping my pace to try and knock out a couple of 5 minute kilometres.  I ended up covering the ground in just over an hour and smack bang on my timing estimates.  The only problem was, I had tried to be aggressive on my estimates to make sure I didn't arrive at any of my checkpoints early.  I was going too quick for sure.  But again, everything felt good.  22km in and my breathing was pretty much under control, legs felt absolutely fine and energy levels were good.  I wasn't hungry but managed to eat a nice home made muesli bar.  So at the just over half way mark, a quick self inventory told me I was feeling pretty much A-OK!

At Killara I rendezvoused with my Dad - a two time marathoner himself - for the 2nd half.  He commented that I looked fresh and good and was hitting a pretty good pace.  From Killara it was an almost pancake flat 5k into Woori Yallock for my first re-supply.  I took the opportunity to eat a couple of peanut butter & chia balls.  No two ways about it, they were dry and hard to consume.  I needed all my water for this plus a but of my Dads.  Luckily it was all part of the plan and I had y wife and 2 year old daughter waiting for me with water refills and some extra food at Woori Yallock.  So the briefest of brief stops at the 26k mark and time for another self assessment.  Hunger not too bad, not thirsty.  Legs starting to get tired but no pains to speak of.  Erin (my wife) said I was looking good coming through Woori.  I was feeling pretty strong and my pace was smack bang what I had estimated.  I knew the hard bit was coming though.  From Woori it is all uphill into Warburton.

It was only 2k out of Woori when I started to struggle.  I switched on auto-pilot and hoped it would pass.  While it wasn't anything too challenging, my so far consistent 5:15/km pace started dropping first to 5:20, then came some 5:30 readings.  My next marker for myself was the Launching Place pub.  Once I got there I knew I was in familiar territory having run and ridden that part of the trail many times.  It didn't help!  Launching Place came at the 32k mark.  I was SLOWING!  The doubts were entering my mind.  I was beyond my longest training run and my head was telling me this is stupid!  I did what I had told myself under no circumstances do.  I voiced my concern.  "Dad, I don't think I can keep going.  I think I'm done". NO!  Another voice popped up and screamed no, you are not done!  It's less than 10k!  It's not even a short training run!  My next refuel stop was Yarra Junction, only 2km away.  I told myself just get there and re-assess.

500m out of Yarra Junction and I had a blinding pain shoot up the outside of my right knee.  The same right knee that was troubled by ITB that caused me to pull out of the Melbourne Marathon.  Ah crap!  All this is coming to naught at the 34km mark!  I hobbled into Yarra Junction feeling all but defeated.  My knee was sore on pretty much every stride and I felt sick because I'd taken two gels, when in training I took a grand total of zero.  My misses was there and she looked pretty heart broken for me, as did my Mum.  I was cooked, and I voiced it.  But everyone encouraged me, it was only 8km to go!  I knew it was now or never.  If I failed at 34km I really couldn't see myself attempting a marathon again.  So I told myself to get bloody moving.  This had to be part of the mental battle that comes with completing a marathon.  The body is capable if the mind is willing.

So I set off again at little more than a shuffle!  I nearly spewed about 300m later, but just kept one foot in front of the other.  It wasn't long until I started to feel ok again.  I got to 38k and I knew I was going to finish it.  I felt a thrill and a sudden energy surge!  My pace even lifted, albeit momentarily.

Struggling through the 40k barrier
I saw my brother in law up ahead who was going to run the last 4km with me.  It was a HUGE lift!  I lifted my head and shoulders and got my technique back to what felt like close to normal.  The last 4k into Warburton is a steady climb, but I wasn't really that bothered.  I knew I had beaten my mental demons and had beaten (only just) the marathon.

I came into the Cog Cafe to the not so resounding applause of my wife and Mum.  It was freezing!  I wouldn't have been too pleased to have been hanging around wiating for me!  But they did and I had a huge smile on my face.  For a second.  Then it was just hurting!

Done - exhausted but done!
The aftermath was quite an experience.  I had obviously spent more than I thought.  I soon basically collapsed onto the grass.  My hands were freezing!  I was FREEZING!  I could not get warm.  I stripped out of my wet running clothes and got my top on and wrapped towels around me, but all to no avail.  I felt faint and my hands were tingling with pins and needles.  I knew had to eat something, and quickly, but felt sick at the thought.

Once again, it was my support team to the rescue!  I hobbled over to the cafe and smashed down a super hot hot chocolate and within 2 minutes I was feeling myself again, albeit rather tired!

My last 10km hit my time, and hit it hard!  I was on track for a 3:45 at the 30k mark and ended up completing the 42.2 in 3 hours and 54 minutes.  I couldn't be disappointed though.  The achievement was finishing.

Contrary to how I thought I would feel post marathon, I really want to recover quickly, get the ITB issues under control and get running again with my sights set on a 3:45 Melbourne Marathon in October.  I have heaps of time to get ready and I think I can train smarter than I did these last few months.

I won't be putting the bike away to gather cobwebs for 3 months.  It will become a tool for my training.  I will be working a lot harder on strength training, particular glutes and core.  I will modify my midweek runs to make sure I include at least one mid-length run of over 1 hour during the week.

Hopefully I am back running soon as I have the Puffing Billy race in two weeks.  I want to make sure my conditioning stays at around the half marathon level so that I can ramp up for Melbourne in around 6-8 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment